Universal Dimmer Modification

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Buschy, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Buschy

Buschy

Hi guys.

I have a Renovation at a night club venue that has cbus already installed. With the renovation comes alot of lighting changes. I currently have numerous Din mount universal dimmers (4 x 2 amp channels). But with the new lights i am looking for around 3-4 amps per channel.

Unfortuatly due to time constraints I cant wait for new Dimmers at 5 amp (6 week lead time) as the venue is due to open in 2 weeks.

I have heard of use 2 x 2amp channels in series/parallel to create 1 x 4 amp channel.

My questions are
    1 - Is this possible?
    2 - If so, Is it a programing function or electrical wiring concept?
    3 - Or Both

Unfortuatly I am a bit time poor at the moment to sit on hold with schnieder, was hoping to get some help here or a point in the right direction

Thanks

Buschy, Jun 3, 2014
  2. Buschy

rhamer

Others will probably give you a more experienced answer, but what I would do is split a single channel load down to less than 2 amp sections, wire them to individual dimmer channels and give the channels the same group address. That way they will all operate as if they were on the same channel.

Cheers

Rohan

rhamer, Jun 3, 2014
  3. Buschy

znelbok

My understanding is no you cant parallel up channels to handle more load.

YOur only option will be to reduce the load on each channel as Rohan suggests and use more channles (can be across different dimmers). You then use the same group name on two or more channels for what appears to be parallel circuirts.

The benefit of doing this is that you can then split the lights across multiple dimmers so that if one were to fail, only some of the lights would out while others would be still functional (a kind of redundancy).

You will need to run more wiring to each load though and this has a price involved as someone needs to source and install the cable.

Mick

znelbok, Jun 4, 2014
Ask a Question