Upgrading Dimmer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aaron, May 9, 2011.

1. Aaron

Aaron

Hello all,

customer has replaced some ceiling light fittings with larger (more power) fittings.

new load 20 off 60w lamps 1200 watts/230 = approx 5.2 amps
    he's already worked out he can run 10 lamps, but trip 2 Amp MCB (on outputs) with any more.

existing dimmmer is;
    L5504D2U: 4-Ch Universal Dimmer, 220V AC, 2.5A, with power supply
    with 2 A MCB's on outputs.

obviously not going to get enough power from this?

If I replaced with;
    L5104D5: 4 Channel Dimmer, 240V AC, 5A, with power supply
    do I need to protect the outputs?

am I pushing my luck or should I go with the 2 ch, 10 amp version?
    as the 230 +/- 6% is the stated voltage for uk but many networks (incl this one) still running at older standard of 240v until transformers are replaced/upgraded etc..

also, this dimmer is professional series, only ever fitted the module type before, anything I need to be aware of.
    first thing that comes to mind is the enclosure/footprint as its not going to fit back into the original??

Aaron

Aaron, May 9, 2011
  2. Aaron

Newman

He should re-check his maths. If the channels are protected by 2A MCBs then he shouldn't have more than 2A per channel, which works out to be 7 x 60W lamps per channel. If he wants to run the dimmer channels up to their rating of 2.5A then he's going to need a larger MCB on each channel. If he's figured out that he can run 10 lamps per channel purely by doing a quick test then he's likely to discover that the breaker still trips after the channel has been on for a while.

The L5504D2U can handle 4 channels at 2.5A per channel, which is a total of 10A (or 8A total if you've got 2A MCB's on each channel). You've got 20 lamps at 60W per lamp. At 230V this is 5.2A, comfortably under the rating of the dimmer, provided the load is distributed across multiple channels.

I'm pretty sure that it's a requirement in the UK to fit MCB's on every dimmer channel. I'd definitely fit an MCB per-channel.

I'd move away from trying to run all the lamps from a single dimmer channel. If they're wired back to the dimmer panel in a couple of sets that will give you flexibility in how you connect them to the dimmer. Remember that if multiple C-Bus dimmer channels share the same group address they'll behave just as if they were on the same dimmer.

I wouldn't overload the dimmer channel. What happens if you get some lamps that are a little bit more than 60W? What happens if the voltage is lowered from 240V to 230V? What happens if the client "just wants an extra lamp over there"? You don't have to worry about any of these things if you've got some spare capacity on the dimmer.

The Professional dimmers are surface mounting, looking a bit like a car audio amplifier, with some knock-outs for bringing in cable conduit on one end. If you've got more than 1 dimmer to install, they need a reasonable amount of space between adjacent dimmers to keep them cool.

There's a bunch of new dimmers available from Clipsal that support higher currents called the Infinity dimmers. These effectively superseed the Professional dimmer you've been looking at. The Professional versions have most of the same features that you'd be familiar with if you've installed the regular DIN dimmers, but they're bigger, beefier and more flexible. They are available in Leading Edge or Trailing Edge configurations. The Architectural dimmers have a bunch of additional software and hardware features and also have Universal dimmer cards. In both cases, if a channel ever stops working the channel cards can be removed and replaced without needing to remove the dimmer. They're well worth a look.

Newman, May 10, 2011
  3. Aaron

Aaron

Hello all,

I've looked at my usual supplier in the uk of c-bus equipment and they dont list the infinity dimmer series. They only have limited stock of the pro series. Ive been quoted the following;

The nearest one to your requirement is the L5103D10LP - 3 channel 10A, which has a list price of ?2,607.24.

Anyone know where I might get a 'cheaper' suitable unit?
    do I need to look outside the uk?

I'm looking to dim 1 ch at 6A?

TIA, Aaron

Aaron, May 12, 2011
  4. Aaron

Newman

If you can split up the lights into 3 separate circuits (~1.73A each), then you can just use the existing universal dimmer, assuming it has 2 other channels spare. If it doesn't have 2 channels spare, then you can always add another universal dimmer and put these 3 circuits on it instead.

Did you get a price for the 2 x 10A Professional dimmer(L5102D10)? They're still a good dimmer. As per the Infinity dimmers you'll need a flat surface to mount them, i.e. not DIN.

Newman, May 13, 2011
  5. Aaron

Aaron

L5101d20

Hi,

'Found' a L5101D20 1ch 20A dimmer - has worked a treat.:)
    The unit I got didn't seem to have instructions, or I lost them:confused:
    wired it as per other dimmers, programmed and all seems OK.
    Looked at the literature section on line but couldn't seem to find the manual?
    just wondering what the terminals R1 and R2 are for?
    or is there a link to the document?

TIA, Aaron

Aaron, May 20, 2011
  6. Aaron

Ashley W

Here is a link to the instructions:

http://www.clipsal.com/trade/__data/page/81/W0001117.pdf

As you will see R1 and R2 are relay contacts described in the manual as:

Ashley W, May 21, 2011
  7. Aaron

Newman

Installation Instructions.

Product Data Sheet.

The R1 and R2 terminals are a voltage free auxiliary relay contact. The contact is closed when the unit has power and open when the unit loses power. It's intended for communicating with emergency lighting systems and the like. The contact is rated at 2.5A, 240V. The behaviour of this auxiliary contact is not configurable.

Newman, May 21, 2011
Ask a Question