Upgrading from 1.11.7 to 1.13.2 any gotchas?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by fleetz, Jun 1, 2014.

1. fleetz

fleetz

Been running 1.11.7 (yes it goes back) and want to upgrade to 1.13.2 for eDLT's.

Are there any gotchas going from the two revisions mentioned

I am running a Windows 7 64 bit on my laptop. I assume I am running SP1 but it doesn't show it installed. I go to Window update and it doesn't show any important update needed hence I think it must be installed?

Appreciate any input.

Regards,

Fleetz

fleetz, Jun 1, 2014
  2. fleetz

DarylMc

To someone's credit the compatibility page at CIS has finally been updated.

http://www2.clipsal.com/cis/technical/downloads/vistasupport

I use Windows7 SP1 64 bit without many problems to speak of.

CGate has the option to run as a Windows service now in the installation.
    I don't use it as a service since I don't want it running all the time and have a phone app which connects to the CNI.

USB drivers seem to install nicely with Toolkit installation.

The devices I have used recently are PCI serial, PACA via USB and MK2 Black and White touch Screen.

If you are going to use a USB to serial adapter everyone still seems to lean towards the Dontronics.
    People have had trouble with USB adapters using the Prolific chipset.

http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11896

System Information on your PC should clearly show if SP1 is installed.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
    DarylMc, Jun 1, 2014
  3. fleetz

fleetz

Thanks Daryl,

Yes I have a Dontronics USB to serial adaptor...still have the same one I bought for my C-Bus training 10 years ago...:) I like to network so typically use CNI's so I am all good on that front.

It is interesting on the SP1 issue. I go to Systems Information and it doesn't show SP1 installed. Microsoft states if SP1 was present in Windows7 at the time of install then it will not show in the systems info.

The other method Microsoft offer to see if SP1 is installed is from the System Information page select check updates and it will show what remains to be updated and if the update is critical. When I do this there are no critical or non critical updates to download....it is up to date.

I checked when SP1 was released and it was mid Feb 2011.....I bought my laptop in 2010 so in theory it can not have SP1 installed with Windows7 and yet System Information says it is not installed and that there is no updates available or needed!?

Microsoft does my head in sometimes...:confused:

Think I will just install 1.13.2 and see if there are any issues.

Thanks for you input....appreciated.

Regards,

Fleetz

fleetz, Jun 2, 2014
  4. fleetz

DarylMc

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2014
    DarylMc, Jun 2, 2014
  5. fleetz

fleetz

Hi Daryl,

Thanks for that. Doesn't state SP1..Yet there are are no updates available for my version......

I suspect it has not got SP1 given my build ID is before yours but my system says everything is up to date?

Regards,

Fleetz

Attached Files:

fleetz, Jun 2, 2014
  6. fleetz

DarylMc

DarylMc, Jun 2, 2014
  7. fleetz

fleetz

Thanks again Daryl

Interesting the link http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...ed-or-not.aspx actually shows our two builds and shows that mine doesn't have SP1.

No hidden updates in restore....

I will install 1.13.2 without SP1 for the moment and see if there are any issues...be good if Daniel from CIS could chip in with any comments on SP1 being critical for 1.13.2?

Regards,

Ian

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2014
    fleetz, Jun 2, 2014
  8. fleetz

daniel C-Busser Moderator

I am not aware of any practical issues that might be caused by the difference between Windows 7 and Windows 7 SP1, but that is not to say there won't be any.

The vast majority of our development and testing is on SP1, and we have elected to support SP1 as the baseline to reduce trouble-shooting. Microsoft released SP1 more than 3 years ago, and started to make it auto-install itself via Windows Update more than 1 year ago.

So if you still don't have SP1 (build 7601) there could be an issue with your Windows Update. You may want to check out some of the other installation methods on this page:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows7/install-windows-7-service-pack-1

Hope this helps!

daniel, Jun 5, 2014
  9. fleetz

fleetz

Thanks Daniel...

fleetz, Jun 5, 2014
  10. fleetz

DarylMc

Hi fleetz
    I would be a little concerned if Windows wasn't updating properly and think it would be safer to get it sorted.
    If it all goes pear shaped you can thank me later:)

Not sure if you are aware of it but the system image software built into Windows 7 has been a saviour for me quite a few times.
    With a suitably sized USB hard drive you can back up the whole PC then if the need arises restore it to that state very speedily.

DarylMc, Jun 5, 2014
  11. fleetz

fleetz

Thanks Daryl,

I agree I am concerned and scratching my head about the fact that Windows updater is not doing its job. It should present SP1 as an available and important update.

I have been for the most part a person who has taken if it ain't bust then don't fix it. Unless of course there are good reasons to update because of known issues, which is why I asked for Daniel's input.....thanks again for your thoughts Daniel.

Understand fully why Daniel and the team have gone with SP1 to minimise the variables in testing and support.

I am currently at build 7600 and completely up to date as far as Windows updater is concerned. Feel like I would be " forcing" SP1 on the system if it is not asking for it.....I know that might sound strange. :confused:

Not sure how you sort out the fact that Windows updater isn't working correctly. Maybe I can get Bill Gates to do a house call!:eek:

Great advise on Windows image function I will do that in any case ....have a large USB external with tons of space.

Regards,

Fleetz

fleetz, Jun 5, 2014
  12. fleetz

DarylMc

It's been a long time since I have had anything go drastically wrong with Windows other than my own tampering.
    But back in XP days a failure to accept current updates was a bad sign so that is the reason I would be concerned.

Vista introduced the create system image software as standard.
    Windows 7 and 8 has it too.
    Although Windows 8 does a good job of hiding it.

DarylMc, Jun 5, 2014
  13. fleetz

zei20t

These may help if you don't want to re-install

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2498452

These are pre-requisites to SP1

Windows Updates KB2454826, KB2534366, and KB2533552

failing that, maybe a re-install? might take less time, plus you'll have a fresh install and your machine will feel 'new' again

zei20t, Jun 6, 2014
  14. fleetz

fleetz

Thanks Z this is new info that in all my search I did not find....will have a look over the weekend.

Appreciate you posting.

Regards,

Fleetz

fleetz, Jun 6, 2014
  15. fleetz

zei20t

no problems, good luck!

zei20t, Jun 9, 2014
Ask a Question