Using a PAC to Replace my CNI

Discussion in 'C-Bus Automation Controllers' started by jpwuk, Aug 3, 2024.

1. jpwuk

jpwuk

Hello. My CNI v2 recently failed. I'm struggling to find a replacement in the UK except for the £2000+ automation units. I have an old PAC and a redundant PC. Is there a way to use the PAC and the PC as a means of accessing the network? That is, I'd like to keep the two always connected. I assume I'd need a USB converter of some sort (or get a 24v power supply and use the RS232), and given the PAC will be on permanent PCI mode I'd need another networked entity (e.g. Home Assistant) to run the scheduling currently on the PAC. And I'd need to remote into the PC to make changes. Or do I need to find a CNI? Thank you.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2024
    jpwuk, Aug 3, 2024
  2. jpwuk

Ashley

Using the PAC as a USB interface is fine plugged directly into a PC USB port. You can't use the serial ports on the PAC as a interface as they are only usable via logic. When using the PAC as a USB interface all PAC function are disabled as you mentioned.

Alternatively, serial interfaces (PCI's) regularly turn up on Ebay reasonably priced. You will need a quality USB serial converter to connect these to a PC without serial ports.

Ashley, Aug 4, 2024
    jpwuk likes this.
  3. jpwuk

jpwuk

Thank you Ashley. Much appreciated.

jpwuk, Aug 4, 2024
  4. jpwuk

Trevor

Check this site...
    There is a raspberry pi with added ccts that can act as a cni for a lot less.
    Offered by Goodwood Electronics

Trevor, Aug 10, 2024
  5. jpwuk

Conformist

https://goodwoodelectronics.com.au/store/

Conformist, Aug 11, 2024
    ben addison likes this.
Ask a Question