Windows 7 64 bit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dave Byron, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Dave Byron

Dave Byron

Installed toolkit 1.10.7 and all goes well, made icon on desktop and runs well.

Installed Piced 4.7.2 - it does not make a icon on desktop - sure you can to do it you know how.
    Also when starting Piced and a couble of the other bits comes up with message asking if you want to let this application make changes - sure you can say yes but why do you not have to with toolkit.

Apart from that no problems so far

dave
    :)

Dave Byron, Oct 30, 2009
  2. Dave Byron

Dave Byron

Diag Software

Does not run, i know you not support on this Windows - see on web site still not support Vista.
    But when you get around to it here is some details

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: CBusDiagnostic.exe
    Application Version: 1.8.1.0
    Application Timestamp: 2a425e19
    Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
    Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16385
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4a5bdbdf
    Exception Code: 0eedfade
    Exception Offset: 0000b727
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 3081
    Additional Information 1: eb89
    Additional Information 2: eb895ddee0d03693a1bcdee38d536684
    Additional Information 3: bfbf
    Additional Information 4: bfbfda5402280fc4bea5b771ca0b75d3

dave

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2009
    Dave Byron, Oct 30, 2009
  3. Dave Byron

Dave Byron

Ipod server not run

see error message

Attached Files:

Dave Byron, Nov 6, 2009
  4. Dave Byron

Darpa

IPodServer has nothing to do with any Clipsal/CIS software, it's a part of the craptastic bloatware otherwise known as iTunes.

Darpa, Nov 6, 2009
  5. Dave Byron

ashleigh Moderator

It sounds to me like you are running on Win7 as a limited user (the default).

Some or all of these older programs do not have an included manifest telling windows they need to be run as administrator.

Try right clicking and selecting Run As Admin, or whatever the similar terminology is thats used this week.

ashleigh, Nov 7, 2009
  6. Dave Byron

Dave Byron

Hi Ashleigh,
    Then ones that crush do so with admin cap.and Piced gets all the UAC popups, Toolkit does not.

The Ipod I know not using 64 bit in the CTouch but would be nice to use it for testing in Piced.

You like this a lot of the commands etc are from the old NT days, whats old is new again, overall much much better than Vista.

Trouble now for me most of the users are going to 64bit machine and on some I want to put the diag so they can run and tell me what the see.

Going to take to move all to 64bits I guess.

dave

Dave Byron, Nov 7, 2009
  7. Dave Byron

Htnut

Hi Dave

I have just installed Piced and the diagnostic into my Windows 7 64bit. I am logged in as an administrator and I have had no problems other than the initial "do you want to Run This Program" message

Htnut, Nov 8, 2009
  8. Dave Byron

Dave Byron

Hi Htnut
    Interesting, I uninstalled and reinstalled and same thing happens whether running with Admin cap or not.
    Have you tried the other bits of Piced ??
    What are you using for the USB to Serial device ??

dave

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2009
    Dave Byron, Nov 9, 2009
  9. Dave Byron

Htnut

Hi Dave
    I just started up Piced but did not use it in anger!

Following your above post I tried to connect to my B & W panel and discovered that I had not set up my driver for serial ports. I use a Digi Ethernet to serial converter. I have looked for a windows 7 driver for it without success. I am now waiting for Digi to get back to me.

Htnut, Nov 9, 2009
  10. Dave Byron

Htnut

I have set up my portserver and have been able to download a project to the panel. So from my limited testing all seems to be ok

Htnut, Nov 9, 2009
  11. Dave Byron

ashleigh Moderator

By the way - the windows error codes shown.

Error code 2 means "file not found". Which would kind of indicate that the port you tried to connect to could not be found.

ashleigh, Nov 11, 2009
  12. Dave Byron

Dave Byron

Hi Ashleigh
    Trouble is I never get to see a menu to make a selection as they bomb out before that.

dave

Dave Byron, Nov 11, 2009
  13. Dave Byron

Darren Senior Member

I have got to the bottom of this one. We first encountered this in 2006. It turned out to be a problem with a third-party component we were using for the serial ports. We fixed the problem in PICED V4.4, Service Pack 1.

In V4.7.0 of PICED, we needed an update to this component for compatibility with the Unicode update, and it looks like this re-introduced the problem :(

This is in our system as #18077 and will be repaired in the next release.

You may be able to prevent this error by creating the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\SERIALCOMM registry key. Before you do this, backup the registry. If you don't know how to hack the registry, then you should probably avoid attempting this.

Darren, Nov 16, 2009
  14. Dave Byron

Dave Byron

Darren
    Hack the registry key, can do blind folded.
    Got another one when I try the Program Options Piced crashes, then when I try to send the error windows live mail crushes with an error about the contacts list not right and reinstall it - like hell.
    Is Piced trying to open outlook or are you trying a MAPI transfer ??
    Remember there no outlook or windows mail now, if I change the default email to Thunderbird the email works well.
    Will paste the screen shots soon.

dave

Dave Byron, Nov 16, 2009
  15. Dave Byron

Darren Senior Member

I think it uses MAPI.

Darren, Nov 16, 2009
  16. Dave Byron

Dave Byron

Darren
    The hack fixes Piced and the Ipod control, no the reason now, I have not installed any 64 bit usb to serial drivers, still working on that part.
    Re the email bit - having the same problem with MYOB it wants MAPI to send emails too.

tks
    dave

Dave Byron, Nov 16, 2009
  17. Dave Byron

ashleigh Moderator

The trouble with a 64 bit OS is that ALL the components, DLL's and so on also need to be 64 bit. You can't for example run a 64 bit version of outlook with its associated MAPI DLL's and have it work from a 32 bit program.

You can run 32 bit programs in the 64 bit OS, but the 32 bit programs only work with any other 32 bit sub-systems (and the OS by magic).

So, if for example you installed a 32 bit version of Thunderbird, then it will install appropriate 32-bit MAPI DLLs and other 32 bit programs will be able to work with it. If you installed a 64 bit native compiled version of Thunderbird (or outlook, or whatever) then your 32 bit programs CANT access it via MAPI, because the DLLs to do so are in the wrong universe.

The solution is far from straightforward. In the long run, the Clipsal programs will need to be available as 32 and 64 bit versions - that's the only completely assured solution (except then somebody will run a 32 bit mail system and complain that is still does not work). That's all fine and dandy but the compiler used for the Clipsal products is unfortunately not yet available to generate 64 bit native executables. So you will see all sorts of mess for a while.

In the meantime the official Clipsal company position is that 64 bit operating systems ARE NOT SUPPORTED. So, if it can be made to work cheaply and easily it will, but otherwise it won't.

ashleigh, Nov 16, 2009
  18. Dave Byron

ado_civon

Windows 7 64Bit

I've been using CBUS from a Windows 7 build for a good few months now / Ultimate & Pro versions without a problem.

Quite happy with the latest 1.10.8 version.

ado_civon, Nov 26, 2009
Ask a Question