Wiser, 5500PC & Jandy Aqualink

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 1 Controller' started by gordonx, Jan 11, 2011.

1. gordonx

gordonx

I have installed a Wiser, 5500PC and Jandy Aqualink Serial RS adapter to an existing cbus network.

What I want to do is enable the Wiser to communicate with the Aqualink Adapter via the 5500PC - to display things like the temperature of the pool and control the spa jets.

Does anyone know how you issue commands from the Wiser to the 5500PC's serial port? I have all the commands for the aqualink, but I can't see how to get the Wiser to communicate to the 5500PC serial port from the CBus side of the network.

Cheers.

gordonx, Jan 11, 2011
  2. gordonx

Newman

You misunderstand how the 5500PC works. It is only able to send and receive C-Bus serial data. It is not able to send and receive free-form or proprietary data over it's serial port, only C-Bus data.

If the Aqualink is able to send and receive C-Bus commands, supporting one or more of the C-Bus Applications, then you would be able to communicate with it over C-Bus. My guess is that it doesn't, however I'm making an assumption here.

If you wish to send proprietary serial data to a device you need to use ether a 5500PACA or a Touchscreen that includes Logic, both of which have serial ports that can send and receive just about any form of serial data.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2011
    Newman, Jan 11, 2011
  3. gordonx

gordonx

Hi Newman - thanks for the prompt reply. So a 5500PACA is able to send, receive and interpret proprietary serial commands so that for instance you could display the pool temperature on the Wiser?

Cheers.

gordonx, Jan 11, 2011
  4. gordonx

kjayakumar

Hi there,

The Wiser doesn't have a serial port, so it can't receive/transmit proprietary serial data. As Newman pointed out, a PACA or a touchscreen would be the right device to select, since it has a serial port which you can use to receive/transmit the serial data.

kjayakumar, Jan 11, 2011
  5. gordonx

Newman

You would need to do it in 2 parts: The PACA part and the Wiser part.

Firstly, you would need to program a PACA to talk to the Aqualink controller. You would then need to put that information onto C-Bus somehow. There are dedicated Application Addresses for sending data such as temperature or on/off/enabled/disabled states. An alternative is to use the "free-for-use" Application addresses in the range 1-15. All of this would be done using logic in the PACA.

Once you've got the messages onto C-Bus you need to program the Wiser to get that data off C-Bus. For things that just have an on/off status you can use the standard Wiser widgets for displaying their status. Depending upon what you program into the PACA, you may be able to control the Aqualink system too, but that will all depend upon what features the Aqualink system supports over it's serial port. For types of information that don't really fit the standard Wiser widgets you can write the data of interest to a System IO variable (using logic) and then place a System IO widget on the Wiser UI.

The above might sound complicated, and it's certainly not trivial, but it's largely an exercise in having a very clear picture about what information you want to see and what things you want to control from the Wiser, and then putting together the various pieces of the puzzle to make it all work.

Newman, Jan 11, 2011
  6. gordonx

Robbo_VIC

Is anyone able to help me with setting up a PACA to communicate with an AquaLink system? I just need to get comms back and forth to turn on and off certain Group Addresses which control Aux outputs on the Aqualink and possibly Turning on/off "Pool Mode" and "Spa Mode"

I've gone up the chain of 3 or 4 people through the suppliers of the Aqualink and unfortunately they were no help

Robbo_VIC, Feb 12, 2013
  7. gordonx

Robbo_VIC

So I've connected my laptop directly to the Aqualink Serial Adapter and can get responses from it using HyperTerminal, but whenever i try to execute any commands it says the Serial Adapter is offline. Using the Instruction Document, this would suggest that the Aqualink is not recognising the Serial Adapter.

I have spoken with Zodiac (suppliers) and they say that the Serial Adapter does not work with a system with only a PDA and not a "One-Touch" system.

Has anyone else heard this?

Robbo_VIC, Feb 12, 2013
  8. gordonx

Rossco

Robbo,
    If you need help with the protocol pm me and I can help as I have interfaced to aqualink via many different cbus devices.
    Full control, feedback and temperatures are all available.

Regards
    Rossco

Rossco, Feb 12, 2013
  9. gordonx

Robbo_VIC

PM Sent

Robbo_VIC, Mar 12, 2013
Ask a Question